Saturday, March 24, 2012

Never Quit

I have to say that the more people contact me about being involved in this campaign or respond to reading my first post, the more excited and inspired I get. People are sharing their personal stories with me about their struggles with their own self esteem and hopefully, many will let me share those stories here once the project gets going. I have even been surprised by some of the stories I've received. I have had women who I consider beautiful tell me how much they struggle daily with their physical appearance. It's a good example of how anyone can find fault with themselves, no matter how much you think they are together and confident.


This campaign has caused me to reflect on many things. One is how much of an impact positive self esteem has on one's happiness. A few years ago, I let go and moved on from negatives in my life. I started a wonderful business and was happy. However, I knew I wasn't 100% happy. I'm still not, but i'd say i'm about 95% at this point. This personal struggle is what is holding me back. I would say that in the past few months, that percentage has definitely gone up, and I am working on getting to that 100.


Like I said in my last post, I believe that people should figure out a goal and make small changes (or big if you can handle it) to get there. I have a goal to be a certain size, but it isn't about the size. It's about how, at that size, I was the healthiest, strongest, and most energetic that i've been as an adult. I work hard at it. I'm not going to lie and say it's easy. It's work. But, it feels amazing. Every time I leave the gym, I feel great. For me, it's all about music. I love music thanks to my grandmother and mother always having it on. On my iphone, I have mixes for everything, even house cleaning. I have a few mixes I use at the gym and they keep me going, but the other thing that keeps me going is telling myself to never quit. Literally, that is what I do. If I feel myself slowing down or i'm tired from life, I just tell myself to keep going.


"Never Quit" is my cousin Matt's motto. Any of you that know me, know that Matt is paralyzed from a hockey accident two years ago. He is the most inspiring and determined person I know. I would say that I wear a Matt Brown shirt 90% of the time I work out. It is Matt, others in my life that inspire me, and my own determination that make me work hard to be healthy and happy.


I have to be honest, when people started to respond to my first post, I had mini anxiety attacks. It was like I realized over and over that people were reading something very personal to me. At the same time, I felt great to have gotten it out there. It's freeing and I hope everyone involved will share their story and feel that weight lifted off their shoulders.


I also have found that a few people have been surprised about my lack of confidence. I am a person who will talk to pretty much anyone. I am outgoing and social and can easily laugh at myself. However, there are many situations in which I feel completely self conscious. I just don't show it. I can't wait to actually feel that complete confidence though!


I spoke about Positively Positive in my last post. It is a blog I follow through Facebook. I wanted to just share this post. http://www.positivelypositive.com/2012/03/13/loving-your-body/


I look forward to helping women and teaching young girls and teens how to feel good about themselves. I will leave you with this Dr. Seuss quote which is one of my favorites.


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss



~Nicole 

No comments:

Post a Comment